Three family members have been jailed after forcing the wife to take medication and dousing her in a corrosive substance, leaving her in a vegetative state after an arranged marriage.

Ambreen Fatima Sheikh, then aged 30, was given glimepiride, an anti-diabetes drug that can be fatal to non-diabetes patients.

She was also likely covered in cleaning product before she was admitted to hospital on August 1, 2015.

Ambreen had an arranged marriage with Asgar Sheikh before she moved to Huddersfield to live with him.

Although none of the family gave evidence in court, Asgar’s father and mother, Khalid and Shabnam, are believed to have been behind Ambreen’s catastrophic brain injury.

Ever since the incident, Ambreen has been under palliative care.

Doctors expected she would die when her ventilator was turned off but she began to breathe for herself.

Prosecutors said Ambreen is unaware of her surroundings, has no motor or pain responses, and will likely die from her injuries in the decades to come.

Leeds Crown Court heard Ambreen moved into the family home in 2014.

She hardly left the house and never went out alone, speaking little English and having no friends or family in the UK.

Soon after she arrived, the family were unhappy with her housework and Khalid suggested she be sent back to Pakistan.

In July 2015, concerns about her wellbeing were raised. However, a police welfare check concluded she was fit and well.

But Judge Mrs Justice Lambert said this bore “little weight” due to Ambreen’s lack of English and her father-in-law being present.

It was uncertain who gave her the pills or doused her in the substance.

The judge concluded there was a two or three-day delay in the family calling an ambulance after Ambreen fell unconscious.

During this time, she became dehydrated and inhaled fluids that may have caused her brain injury.

She also suffered burns on her back, bottom and right ear.

Even when the family called 999, they lied about what happened to Ambreen.

According to witness statements, Ambreen was in good health before the abuse and is said to have been a teacher in Pakistan.

Her mother is still there but in poor health, while her father has since died.

She has seven siblings, including a brother who has visited her in the palliative care home.

Family jailed for Abuse of Wife that left her in Vegetative State

The trio were convicted of allowing a vulnerable adult to suffer physical harm and perverting the course of justice after a trial.

They were each sentenced to seven years and nine months in prison.

Mrs Justice Lambert said:

“It is difficult to imagine a more serious injury, short of death.”

Asgar’s sister Shafuga Sheikh was also found guilty of allowing a vulnerable adult to suffer physical harm and perverting the course of justice. But she was given an 18-month suspended sentence.

Asgar’s brother Sakalayne Sheikh was convicted of perverting the course of justice. He received a six-month sentence, suspended for two years.

After sentencing, West Yorkshire Police’s DCI Matthew Holdsworth said:

“This has been an awful case in which a young, healthy woman has been catastrophically injured and robbed of her future by the very people she should have expected to protect her.

“While Ambreen still technically lives, it is tragically believed she may never regain consciousness.

“I am grateful that justice has at least been delivered for Ambreen today and that those responsible for her suffering have been punished for the truly wicked offences they committed.”