Mukesh Shah, aged 43, of Wembley, was jailed for nine months after being found guilty of masturbating on board a London Underground train in front of a lone woman.

London Inner Crown Court heard that on November 4, 2022, at around 11:40 pm, the woman was travelling alone in an empty Piccadilly Line carriage between Sudbury Town and Acton Town when Shah boarded the train.

The carriage was empty but Shah sat diagonally opposite the victim.

She then noticed him staring at her, making her feel uncomfortable.

The woman then noticed that Shah exposed himself and was masturbating.

The victim bravely captured Shah on camera in the hope that it would deter him. When he didn’t she confronted Shah, telling him to stop and to move away from her.

Shah denied any wrongdoing but moved along the London Underground carriage.

The victim reported the incident to British Transport Police (BTP) along with the video. It was circulated within the police and led to Shah being identified.

Shah was found guilty of indecent exposure.

He had already spent a total of 16 months in prison for indecent exposure and outraging public decency offences between 2014 and 2016.

In a statement read by prosecutor Harriet James, the victim said:

“I thought this was weird behaviour.

“I initially thought he was going to engage in small talk, but he looked kind of sleazy and seedy. He took a seat directly opposite me.

“The whole carriage was empty and he sat directly opposite me. He kept staring at me.

“Then I noticed he had his penis flaccid in his hands. He was rubbing and stroking it with his right hand.

“To be honest I was not shocked but not frightened. I have had this happen before. I was angry, in fact, I wanted to kick the living daylights out of him.

“I got my phone out and started filming him. He continued stroking himself. He looked like he had a sly grin on his face.”

“I said ‘Do you want to tuck yourself in?’ He replied ‘Huh’.”

Shah was jailed for nine months. He was also ordered to sign the sex offenders register for 10 years and subjected to a 10-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Mark Luker said:

“This was a frightening and upsetting experience for the victim and I commend her bravery in confronting the offender, managing to capture an image of Shah and reporting this.

“Shah’s disgusting actions have not only secured him time behind bars, but restrictions following his release to prevent him from repeating his actions in the future.

“We will always take reports of sexual offences seriously and will do everything in our power to bring offenders to justice.

“I urge anyone who sees or experiences this behaviour to report it to British Transport Police by texting 61016, via the Railway Guardian app, or via 999 in an emergency.”